WA Showcase 2019
21 - 24 May
SUBIACO ARTS CENTRE
WA’s Most Imaginative Creatives
Internationally Acclaimed Arts Thinkers
In May 2019, the stage at Subiaco Theatre Centre will come alive with WA’s finest producers pitching the best work you will see in the state this year. Alongside, will be five of the most thought provoking speakers bringing original thinking to performing arts from Australia around the world - including audience development, community engagement, creative thinking, product development and why assuming people don't care is the best place to start marketing.
Showcase 2019 is all about story.
Our acclaimed international speakers addressing our theme of ‘Story as light. Story as glue. Story as web’ a concept first explored by cultural strategist Ella Saltmarshe.
“Stories shape how we understand the world, our place in it, and our ability to change it”
- Ella Saltmarshe.
STORY AS LIGHT
Story helps illuminate the past, present, and future, thus lighting up the paths of change. Specifically, it:
1. Highlights the fault lines in a system and makes visceral cases for change.
2. Illuminates outliers and builds a cohering narrative around their work.
3. Shines a light on visions of the future that change the way people act in the present.
STORY AS GLUE
Story is also a tool for building community through empathy and coherence. It enables people to connect across difference and to generate narratives that hold together groups, organizations, and movements.
STORY AS WEB
Finally, we can use story to reauthor the web of narratives we live in. Specifically, we can use it to:
1. Change the personal narratives we have about our lives.
2. Change the cultural narratives that frame the issues we advocate for.
3. Change the mythic narratives that influence our worldview.
Using Story to Change Systems - Ella Saltmarshe, Standford Social Innovation Review
What are our stories? How do we tell them? What is the best way to tell them? Why do we need to change and How do we make that change with integrity and evidence?
WA Showcase will seek to answer these questions and more!